WHAT’S IN A WEBSITE?
What makes a good website? Excellent design is an obvious answer and great content is another. They’re the stars of the team most definitely, but let’s not forget some other key items that are fundamental in a website. Here are 5 things we make sure we include with every website we build and you should make sure you have in yours too!
- Search Engine Optimization. Do you have meta tags like titles and descriptors in place? These are the little snippets you see in search results. Being able to customize these can help ensure a higher ranking with search engines. How about an XML sitemap? This helps Google figure out how your site is laid out, allowing it to “crawl” or index it faster.
- Device Responsiveness. What does your site look like on various devices? Does the change in device, such as mobile, cause difficulties for users? Being aware of what your site looks like on all devices is especially important these days.
- Social Media Integration. Does your company/business/organization have social media? If so, why not integrate them? This can be as simple as icons directing to each platform or you can go a bit farther and embed feeds from them directly onto your website.
- Google Analytics. By embedding tracking codes into your website you can use Google Analytics to track important information such as the demographics of your site visitors, what pages they visit and for how long, what they search for on your site, etc.
- Security. How secure is your site? If you’re holding onto high-risk information such as payment/customer information, purchasing an SSL Certificate (what makes that green https:// appear) can be valuable to have. With WordPress sites, there are additional plugins that will lock out repeated attempts to log in with faulty information, warn you about security risks, etc.